Donna's Reviews > The Good Husband of Zebra Drive

The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: mystery-suspense
Read in March, 2009

After quite a few years of living it, I've come to the conclusion that life is made of two things: time and attention. What I love about the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series is the way the author, Alexander McCall Smith, handles both.

In The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, as in all the books in the series, the pace is lazy and relaxed. If I ever visit that part of Africa, I expect that I'll recognize the way the sun feels there, the way the dust settles on the roads after a car goes by. The umbrella-like trees and the dignified, enduring cattle will seem familiar. Mma Ramotswe, the central character, notices these things, and I've spent many happy hours gazing at Africa through her eyes.

In this book, Mma ponders the mysteries of life and concludes that it is made of big things and small things. The big things, good and bad, are writ large, impossible to ignore. So it's essential to notice and find joy in the small things: "small acts of helping others, if one could; small ways of making one's own life better: acts of love, acts of tea, acts of laughter."

I recommend this book as a small vacation from life's big concerns. It goes well with an evening of leisure and a nice, hot cup of red bush tea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Husband of Zebra Drive.