Eva Leger's Reviews > Cane and Able

Cane and Able by Stephen Cheek

Apr 26, 09

bookshelves: b-fiction, keepers
Recommended to Eva by: the author
Recommended for: thinking fiction lovers
Read in April, 2009, read count: once

What do I say about this book? Hmmm..I guess I should admit that I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I ended up liking it. I fell in love with the characters from the start- it's not very often you read a book where all of the characters are well formed- as in this book.
The story line, while reading the back of the book did peak my curiosity, didn't really due justice to the real story. The story is about so, so much more than what the description gives away. This is definitely one of those books that you can sit and think on for a long time.
Had I not met and talked to Mr. Cheek here on GR I might have let the book sit on a shelf for who knows how long. If that had happened I'd have regretted it when I finally did read it- this isn't to be missed. I'm not shamelessly plugging for Mr. Cheek- this is a seriously good book with so much to offer.
I'm still amazed at how well he formed not only the characters themselves, but the situations they were in, the conversations, the thoughts, everything. I'm excited to read another book in the future and I would love to see another book with these same charcters- maybe a prequel or sequel Mr. Cheek? :)
The book follows Justin and Able, the two main characters. Justin is Mr Cain's young son and Able is a trusted farmhand.
Their relationship is simple and complex at the same time and you feel like you're riding right along with them for the ride when you read their talks with each other. I felt so many emotions, strong emotions, bubbling up while reading, everything from wanting to just hug Able for being the kind of man he is to wanting to hurt Big Doug for the kind of man he is.
It's not just the main characters that get the emotions and thoughts going either- it's all the characters- every single one.
I sincerely hope people don't sleep on this- it's a great book and I don't think any review I write can do it justice to be honest. Hopefully, someone with better reviewing skills will come along soon and do a better job. I hope so for Mr. Cheek's sake and everyone else who may end up missing out on this treasure!
Thanks you so much Mr. Cheek, for recommending this. I don't normally put too much into an author recommending their own book because I assume they just want anyone and everyone to read it. That wasn't the case with you or this book at all. This is definitely a book I won't forget and I'm thrilled to have read it and been the first to "review" it (no matter my probably poor reviewing job!)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cane and Able.

04/21/2009 page 1
0.25% "starting today or tomorrow! Can't wait!"
04/22/2009 page 45
11.36% "Wow- am pleasantly surprised! I'm in LOVE with Able so far! :) Nice Stephen!"
04/23/2009 page 265
66.92% "the pages FLEW by last night! I'm in LOVE with Able and the rest are great characters too! I'll be done by tonight no doubt!"
04/23/2009 page 315
79.55% "am sick still....will take til tomorrow to finish... :("
04/24/2009 page 375
94.7% "almost finished- very fast one! I'm excited to get to the ending to see what happens!"
04/24/2009 page 396
100.0% "finished! :) will review this evening and can't wait!"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica z-signed?

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva Leger Hahahahaha! I put a 'z' and a few other letters from the bottom of the alphabet in front of the lists I don't use that often so I don't have to go through them all to get to the ones I use most often. LOL
I don't have too many each week that are signed so that's at the bottom. Along with 'couldnt-finish' and a few others!!
I'm dying to start this and I keep running into something and it's making me mad!

message 3: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Cole thanks for the well thought out review -- think I'll give this one a read!

message 4: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva Leger Thanks Brenda! If you remember come back to tell me what you thought - this is like one of those books that are like little gems that not a lot of people have heard about I think. Unlike some bigger named authors.
It's a really good one!