Jennie's Reviews > Promise Not to Tell

Promise Not to Tell by Jennifer McMahon

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: spooky-things
Read in March, 2009

Decent writing, interesting premise, some memorable characters. But there's a fine line between writing an ending that makes you say, "OMG that was so surprising! I would never have guessed that X was the perpetrator of such a horrible crime, but looking back I can see that it makes perfect sense! Oh, you clever author, you!" and an ending that makes you say, "OMG that was so surprising, I would never guessed that X was the perpetrator of such a horrible crime, because looking back I can see that at least half a dozen other characters were just as likely to have committed the crime as our chosen culprit. Silly author, did you put all the supporting characters' names in a hat, choose one at random, and then tack a weak motive on at the end to try and make your selection seem plausible?" Because I kind of got the feeling that's what happened here. Many parts of the book were quite moving, and packed an emotional punch. But the ultimate motivations behind the crime that caused these feelings were kind of "eh." Which kind of killed the book for me.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Not to Tell.