Neil Collins's Reviews > The Bone Collector

The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver

Apr 13, 09

Read in April, 2009

I had seen the movie adaptation of this book long before I knew anything about the book itself. When I stumbled upon Jeffery Deaver, the author, and discovered a series featuring Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs, I wanted to read them all, based on how much I had enjoyed the film.

As is all to often the case, the book and the film share a title and a few elements, but the stories are so very different as to be nearly unrelated. Fortunately, Mr. Deaver’s story was exceptionally well written. I found the construction of the storyline dynamic and exciting, and the fact that it differed so from the movie left me guessing at many of his twists and turns.

For those unfamiliar with the story, Lincoln Rhyme was the most brilliant forensic investigator ever to have been a part of the NYPD. He had created their protocol for forensic investigation, worked with the FBI, established databases for cataloging trace evidence… He’d done it all. Until a falling beam on a crime scene he was working stuck him, crushing the fourth cervical vertebra, leaving his supercharged brain nearly the only working part of his body. His head and shoulders, a little movement in his left ring finger, and his vivid recollection of the city are all he has; other than a desire to end his own life.

Patrol Officer Amelia Sachs is a tall, beautiful, former model with aspirations of getting off the street and into her new assignment in public relations. In ways, she may be even more damaged than even Rhyme. When she is called to investigate the report of a partially buried body, she discovers an intentionally left clue to a series of abduction murders. Murders that have not yet happened.

Racing against time, Rhyme is reluctantly drafted to run the forensics, and he pulls in the equally reluctant Sachs as his eyes and legs to work the scenes. The resulting symbiosis is far greater than the sum of its parts, and the whirlwind telling of the story is masterful.

The Bone Collector is an energetic and well researched book, full of vivid and often troubling images. Jeffery Deaver has done a fantastic job here, and I whole heartedly recommend this book to all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Collector.