Carmen's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

May 20, 09

bookshelves: education
Read in March, 2009

Intense, brutal, and impeccably written. McCarthy tells a very frightening tale in a compellingly modern and antiquated style. Set in some sort of post-apocalyptic America, it is a terribly bleak novel that is ultimately about maintaining hope, and integrity, in the face of evil.

Thinking about this book months later, I'm reminded of the title of another book, "Fates Worse than Death." I find that this novel is a parable on the existence of good and evil, right and wrong - notions that are debated today as being outdated. This story is clearly on the side of the existence of truth, or a truth. It's evident that McCarthy is not into moral relativism, although the world he creates is full of brutality and violence. I sense that the story is written from the perspective of an old man who finds the modern world completely run amok, yet what does it hold for the younger generations? In the story, the young boy is certainly a Jesus-like figure, the "keeper of the fire" and considering the fact that McCarthy dedicates the book to his youngest son, it's hard to not draw any parallels. What makes the young boy the keeper of the fire? That he knows that certain actions are right, and certain ones are absolutely wrong, even when it comes to one's survival? I'm really looking forward to seeing how this book translates to film, it seems like such a difficult, sparse story to transfer to the screen. I recently saw the trailer with Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron and,uhm, intewesting...I'm very curious to see how Hollywood will pull it off!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.