Jason's Reviews > Wizard of the Crow

Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: africa, fiction, favorites, contemporary, fantasy-scifi-magical-realism
Read from May 01 to June 03, 2012

Here's a book you won't want to put down.

The scenes in the Wizard of the Crow play out cinematically—the storytelling is as good as everyone says. And despite being a heavily plot-driven book, you can imagine in a 700-something-page novel that there'd be a good deal of character development and there is. Best of both worlds.

The story's a farcical and absurdist take not just on the conditions people have to live in, political or otherwise, but also the situations people get themselves into with a lack of self-restraint, foresight and honesty, when the competitive spirit runs amok. That said, I think wa Thiong'o manages to deliver a solid story without being heavy-handed, so you're really free to make of the story what you want.

The novel for me was just the right length and reminded me a bit of Midnight's Children in the sense of wonder he builds up, and it also made me think back to The Brothers Karamazov just for the long, exciting chains of action that almost makes it hard to catch your breath!

If you read to be entertained, you should hunt down a copy of this book post-haste! It'll be an instant fave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard of the Crow.

05/01/2012 page 27
4.0% "It's true; the writing sucks you in."
05/08/2012 page 135
18.0% "this book is the shit! i love the characters. :)"
05/15/2012 page 197
26.0% "This is probz gonna be a fave."
05/17/2012 page 245
32.0% ":3"
05/24/2012 page 360
47.0% "I wish I could just take a vacation day and finish this book in one sitting."
05/25/2012 page 392
51.0% "yep, this is gonna be another ★★★★★ novel for the shelf."
05/28/2012 page 556
72.0% "This book is really hard to put down!"
show 4 hidden updates…