Punk's Reviews > Chairs: A History

Chairs by Florence de Dampierre

Apr 20, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fiction, picture-book, tried-to-read-failed, history
Read in April, 2009

Non-fiction. I gave this 144 pages and finally decided life was too short to suffer through a moment more. The prose is clunky and often unclear, there are no references listed anywhere in the book, and the pictures don't match up with the text. The author spends two pages going on and on about three-legged chairs, but I don't get a picture? Instead I get a photo of a French armchair or something. What?

I wanted to learn the history of chairs! But the most useful part of this book was the introduction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chairs.

04/11/2009 page 30
6.94% "The title of this book cracks me up. Just imagine Hermione saying it"
04/12/2009 page 52
12.04% "This book has a really skewed version of history." 1 comment
04/13/2009 page 66
15.28% ""The fifteenth and sixteenth centuries were critical in the development of the seat."" 2 comments
04/17/2009 page 129
29.86% ""One of wicker's greatest moments was its presence in the airplane seat that carried Charles Lindbergh across the Atlantic in 1927.""
04/20/2009 page 144
33.33% "I give up! This book is draining my will to live."

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Trin (new)

Trin Aww, I'm sad! The sentences you culled were hilarious. Maybe a book of you reading the book would be good?

message 2: by Punk (new) - rated it 1 star

Punk It was so frustrating! Like the text and the pictures are having two different conversations, and there I was, stuck in the middle.

message 1: by Punk (new) - rated it 1 star

Punk Trin wrote: "Aww, I'm sad! The sentences you culled were hilarious. Maybe a book of you reading the book would be good?"

Sadly, those sentences were the best part.