Walter's Reviews > When Bad Things Happen to Good People

When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold S. Kushner

Mar 19, 09

Read in February, 2009

I am disappointed to say that I was disappointed by this book. I have known it for decades as a classic, yet had not read it. Upon discovering the 20th anniversary edition, I took the plunge. It was like diving into an unheated pool ... not in a refreshing way, more like a bracing one. Although several parts of the book were quite moving, I found it to be quite uneven and its author prone to what I call relativism (by which I mean that he so often prescribes the scope of the divine as to bleed out its divinity). It is as if any challenging question that he can't answer becomes another of God's constraints. I was left with the impression that this had more to do with the author than with the divine. Overall, I had to struggle to finish it, but I do treasure the handful of piercing insights that it contains. This being said, I don't feel the need to re-read it ever and will heretofor only review the highlights. I hope others are more moved.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Bad Things Happen to Good People.