Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Pleasure of a Dark Prince

Pleasure of a Dark Prince by Kresley Cole

I deliberately took a long hiatus on this series. Not because I didn’t love it, or that I was bored. No! Quite the contrary. I did it because it was doggone heartbreaking to run out of books after Kiss of a Demon King. Now, I have accumulated a nicely sizable stock of IAD stories, and I am good to go, if having to avoid spoilers like the plague doesn’t put a bit of a crimp in my style.

The Story:
It was quite fun to see besotted Lykae, Garreth MacRieve chasing after his reluctant (for the most part) Valkyrie mate, Lucia. You see, Lucia totally has the hots for Garreth, but she has some really good reasons to give him the cold shoulder. For the most part, this didn’t bother me. I like to see the hero doing the chasing. And Lucia did show that she had feelings for Garreth. There were a couple of things she did to discourage Garreth that I wasn’t fond of. And I didn’t like the way she treated them the day after the night in the temple. (view spoiler).

(view spoiler)

As usual, Kresley Cole writes a blisteringly hot romance story. Here I am reading this book at the gym on the elliptical, with my eyes glued to the pages, which were singeing my fingers. Oh, my! Ms. Cole writes so many good foreplay scenes, you are eagerly awaiting the big moment, and of course, you are not disappointed.

I loved the adventure aspects. The trek into the Amazon, and the natural, strange but natural creatures, and of course, the Loreans that Garreth and Lucia encountered made for an exciting read. She didn’t let the tension wane in any way, sexual or storyline-wise. And there are so crazy, over the top action scenes that I loved. I didn’t know what to expect, and I wasn’t bored for one second. Lucia holds her own against enormous caimans, crazed assassins, shapeshifters, vile, cannibalistic gods, and crazy humans. Garreth ain’t shabby either. My werewolf fixation was very much appeased with him! A girl could do no better than to have a devoted Lykae mate out to protect her and to meet her every need! Hot and sultry, this book was, in many ways. The treasure hunt was a nice addition, giving this book that Indiana Jones vibe that I love. I have a feeling that some of the happenings in this book will have repercussions in the next, and I am eagerly awaiting to see how those chips fall.

The Characters:
Ms. Cole was able to distinguish Lucia from her Valkyrie sisters by giving Lucia a more serious bent than her other sisters. She had a lot of emotions simmering underneath that she had to keep leashed. While most of her Valkyrie sisters are party animals, she has to stay in control and honor her vows. Her situation was a tough one, with her obligations that kept her from living a full life. She was punishing herself for childish choice she made when she was a very young girl. That’s one thousand years of guilt. Way too many! I liked her rationality, and I loved her archery skills. She was freaking awesome! I liked that she had a soft spot for Garreth, and it wasn’t just lust. She really liked the guy and cared for him. And she really, truly showed how much he meant to her, going after him in his time of need. If I didn’t like her before, she definitely won me over at this point.

Like pretty much all of KC’s heroes, I adored Garreth. Sexy, sweet, tough, funny, intelligent, and devoted, very devoted. It’s safe to say that when he makes a commitment, he keeps it. And when he loves, he loves, to the bottom of his soul. He just about broke my heart near the end of this story. But this story has a happy ending, so fear not.

The secondary characters are always entertaining and well-drawn. Ms. Cole has a great imagination, creating characters that populate her ever-expanding Lore, and making me even more of a devoted reader. I love the romance, but the world-building was an equally powerful factor in making me a fan of this series. It’s very distinct and fascinating, full of legend and myth that makes this paranormal romance into fantasy adventure, and keeps me coming back for more. When I meet new characters, I hope that Ms. Cole will bring them back so I can see what their story is, and where this series will lead them. I have to say that Lothaire is one character that I have my eye on. What is his deal??? Inquiring minds! And the epilogue….Evil. She’s evil! I am so glad that I have the next book waiting in the queue.

Some Questions to Finish This Review:
Did I love this story? Yes‼‼ Sexy romance, humor, adventure, fascinating storylines. They are all there for the intrepid reader.
Was I satisfied? Oh, yes‼!
Am I excited for the next book? Absolutely‼!
Would I recommend this series? You aren’t reading it? Do you like paranormal romance? If the answer is yes, hop to it!
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pleasure of a Dark Prince.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Liked

Kresley Cole
“Well maybe we need to Cesar Millan their asses and show them who's boss. Tsst, tsst!”

Kresley Cole
“Have you ever fought an opponent you had no defense against? Like a fire breather or an acid spitter?"
"Once I faced a female with diamond skin," Nix said breathlessly. "I was transfixed - even as she was choking the life out of me."
"Really?"
"No, I saw that character on X-Men. I just wanted to commiserate. Alas, I have no weaknesses.”

Kresley Cole
“If I have to scour the entire earth, I'll hunt her down. I will no' falter. One day I will bring my female back to my home - back to my bed...She was born to be found by me.
-Garreth MacRieve, King of all Lykae”

Kresley Cole
“Fate has a way of getting what she wants, no matter how we try to avoid it.”

05/26/2011 page 128
30.0% "Book crack!" 4 comments
05/27/2011 page 260
60.0% "I really like KC is able to team hot love scenes with a great, exciting plot. I had no idea they would end up going on an exotic treasure-hunting adventure in this book."

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus **grins** I do like my scottish wolves =D I gotta get some Lykea action!

Aimee I think it's about time we got another Lykae story. I can't wait!

Audrey Love those Lykae!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Me too! I have this very vivid picture of Gareth in my mind as I read. :)

message 6: by Blodeuedd (new)

Blodeuedd Finland I need to catch up on this wicked series :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) B, I am still trying to catch up. I took a very long hiatus.

message 8: by Blodeuedd (new)

Blodeuedd Finland And I have read book 1 and 10 ;)

message 10: by Blodeuedd (new)

Blodeuedd Finland Yes I know, I started at book 10, fell in love and went back to the novella and then book 1

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) This is an addictive series. I took a long break because I was letting the books pile up. I didn't want to run out of books again like I did after Kiss of a Demon King.

message 12: by Blodeuedd (new)

Blodeuedd Finland I know the feeling, and at those times it's good to take a break :)

Ally72 Great review, Danielle...Have a good week!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Ally. You too. You should be finishing up the school year soon, huh?

Audrey Nice review! This book is one of my favorites in the series. :)

Ally72 Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks, Ally. You too. You should be finishing up the school year soon, huh?"

Hi Danielle..Yes, we have been out of school for over a week now. We get out early in May and then go back at the beginning of August. I would prefer going later in May (like we used to), but I don't think that is probably going to happen again. Are you going anywhere special this Summer for a vacation?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I think I have to go to training, but that will probably be in the late summer/early fall. I don't have any plans to go anywhere. I hope to stay out of the head. It's already been over 100 degrees here in Texas.

What are you up to this summer? Enjoying having time off?

message 19: by Ally72 (last edited May 31, 2011 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally72 Is your training going to be in a fun place? I don't have any plans to go anywhere right now either. My Mom just had rotator cuff surgery on her shoulder last week so I have been helping her with that right now. She is doing much better, but it is definitely a painful procedure to have done. I think we are just going to wait and see how she does before we decide to go anywhere this Summer. It is just nice to be home and to be able to catch up on things (including READING) so that it is fine with me too.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'm not sure. I think it's in Dallas, which isn't bad. Lots of places to eat and to shop, and I have friends who live there.

I hope your mom recovers well from her surgery. My sister had shoulder surgery, so I know that is tough.

I'm so glad you have some time off to relax and catch up on your reading, Ally!

message 21: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited May 31, 2011 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Love your review, Danielle! Thanks for bringing this story back to me! (Though there are some things I want to forget! - (view spoiler)). I loved this book and Garreth and Lucia. Garreth is my favourite Lykae. And Lothaire gets more and more intriguing! ^_^

It will be great having several books of these to read in a row.

Ally, I hope your mom recovers quickly from her surgery, but it's great that you are there to help her. And Danielle, I hope your sister's shoulder is all better now!

It's the first day of winter here! Brrrr! Enjoy your summer, ladies!

Ally72 Danielle...I think Dallas sounds like fun! I have heard that there is a lot of great shopping there and I would love to go to Neiman Marcus!!! I hope your sister is doing better too. I think anything involving shoulders, legs, or feet is really painful.

Jayne...Happy First Day of Winter! Yikes! It seems strange to be saying that since it is late Spring here. I appreciate your kind wishes about my Mom. She was in a lot of pain last week when she had it done, but is much better this week.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Jayne. Her shoulder twinges her occasionally, but not too bad. I'll trade your winter for my summer!

Ally, Lacy's health is better than ever now. I can't keep up with her. :)

Shellbelle Great Review! Love this series, It's def. one of my favs. I can't beleive you held off and waited though! Your will power is MUCH stronger than mine!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Shellbelle, it was because it was so painful to have to wait so long for the next book after I finished Kiss of a Demon King, Shellbelle. I have this pathological fear of running out of books to read, like that would ever happen!

Ally72 Danielle...I am the same way and that is why I like to always have a book to read in my favorite series. Although, I sometimes blow it with really special authors and read books right away.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Sometimes my willpower fails me too, Ally. :)

Ally72 It is good to know I am not alone...Strength in numbers! LOL!

Lisa Kay I love your review, Danielle! I feel the same way as you do in your comment (view spoiler) Thanks for another wonderful review!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Lisa! (view spoiler)

Lisa Kay Alas, you are right! (Not that there was any doubt!) It has been awhile since I re-read this book. I'm thinking of re-reading the whole series with someone who has never ready any of them (as a "buddy read"). Love those BRs, as there are some interesting questions posted.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I would love to reread them, but I don't have time for rereads right now. I have the latest two yet to read. Have you read them yet.

Linds The next one is probably my favorite of them all! It's so good. Unfortunately the one after that is just okay...can't win them all!

Lisa Kay Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I would love to reread them, but I don't have time for rereads right now. I have the latest two yet to read. Have you read them yet."

I read Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole when I was recovering from surgery and don't remember a thing about it except it had a kid in it (I think). I haven't rated it b/c of that and I have it on my "re-read" list. I also bought Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole the second it was available and read the long "prolog" and realized I better re-read DFTD b/f going further.

Lisa Kay Linds wrote: "The next one is probably my favorite of them all! It's so good. Unfortunately the one after that is just okay...can't win them all!"

Ahhhh...Linds, now you make me want to jump back into this series. They are just getting ready to put out the first one The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole on audio. I would love to listen to all of these!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Linds, that's too bad you were disappointed with DftD. It sounds really good. Lisa, maybe we can try to read DfTD and DoaDW together.

Audrey Danielle, I think Linds is saying that Demon from the Dark was really good, but Dreams of a Dark Warrior is the one that's so-so.

For what it's worth, Demon from the Dark is really good, and Malkom is *fans self* hottt. I agree that Dreams of a Dark Warrior was not as good. I'd say 4.5ish for Demon from the Dark, but 3.5ish for Dreams of a Dark Warrior. (I can't help it - even when it's so-so, I just love Kresley Cole's storytelling so much that I can't go low with her.)

The only one that I actively disliked was Kiss of a Demon King, and that's mainly because I didn't like Sabine and thought Rydstrom didn't live up to the expectations I had after seeing him in the previous books.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Sorry I misunderstood. I really liked Kiss of a Demon King, but I know that isn't a fave of many of the fans. I liked seeing good boy Rydstrom go bad!

Audrey Hrm, I interpreted "Kiss of a Demon King" a different way - thought the book made him look weak next to Sabine's dom nature. *shrugs* Different strokes for different folks. :)

message 41: by Ally72 (last edited Jun 03, 2011 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally72 I wasn't prepared to "like" Sabine in "Kiss of a Demon King," but I changed my opinion of her after the book. I agree with Danielle and it was fun seeing Rydstrom turn to the dark side...LOL! The one that has probably been my least favorite was Deep Kiss of Winter. It was good, but not as good as the others.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I think that Ryd had to reboot himself to deal with Sabine, which was a good thing, because he was very disconnected and not acknowledging who he really was. I think the whole chasing thing went on a bit too long, but I still enjoyed it.

Ally, what disappointed you about Deep Kiss of Winter? I didn't think Murdoch was a good a mate as he could have been to Daniela. That part kind of got to me.

Ally72 I loved Murdoch and Daniela's characters, but I thought the story went on a little too long. I don't know...you know I am not a fan of the novellas so maybe I wanted more development in the characters. Also, I don't think it helped that I read it in the Summer and the book revolved around cold weather.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I wish that she had written a full-length for Murdoch and Nikolai.

Lisa Kay Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Lisa, maybe we can try to read DfTD and DoaDW together."

Sounds great, Lady D! When are you planning to read these?

Lisa Kay Ally wrote: "I wasn't prepared to "like" Sabine in "Kiss of a Demon King," but I changed my opinion of her after the book. I agree with Danielle and it was fun seeing Rydstrom turn to the dark side...LOL! The ..."

Ditto! Sabine changed my mind. Or was it Kresley Cole?

Lisa Kay Audrey wrote: "(I can't help it - even when it's so-so, I just love Kresley Cole's storytelling so much that I can't go low with her.)"

True for me too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) How about one in July and one in August?

Lisa Kay Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "How about one in July and one in August?"

Perfect for me! Great.