JoAnna's Reviews > Twilight at Monticello: The Final Years of Thomas Jefferson

Twilight at Monticello by Alan Pell Crawford

Mar 19, 09

Read in March, 2009

I have always admired Thomas Jefferson for his grand ideas and how they helped form our government and country. I also knew he was an architect and have always wanted to visit his home, Monticello. This book focuses on Jefferson's life after he is president. It made me a little sad to see that all his scholarly ideas didn't help him with normal, everyday life. He was a poor manager of his farms and was even worse at handling his financial affairs. He built Monticello, but it was not a practical house to live in. Still, he loved it so much his family stayed there until he died. He got himself in deep financial trouble and hoped that his country would help him out of the appreciation Jefferson believed they felt for him. His family life didn't go much better with his wife and children all passing away very young except for one daughter, who loved Jefferson more than her own husband. The author is sympathetic to Jefferson and I found myself still admiring, but also pitying, our Founding Father.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight at Monticello.