Krista (More hot and gritty bikers please)'s Reviews > When I See You

When I See You by Katherine Owen

Jan 08, 13

bookshelves: yes-please
Read from January 07 to 08, 2013

A lot happens in a year, both good things and bad things. For me, the past year was filled with events exactly like that. I fortified friendships with some of the most amazing women I have ever known. My daughter turned 18, the age of an adult and have started applying to colleges. My Dad was diagnosed with stage IV cancer. My brother returned from Afghanistan and our relationship has grown into something better than it was when we were children. I’ve had more guests sleep in my guest room than I’ve had in the past ten years. I lost my job and found an even better one. Through it all, my best friend and husband has stood by my side. Just like the past year for me, a lot happens in the life of Jordan and Brock in the book, “When I see you” by Katherine Owen.

Jordan’s husband Ethan is shipped off to Iraq, serving as a sniper as a Navy SEAL with his best childhood friend, Brock. The story is told as a two person POV, alternating between Jordan and Brock. Jordan is a wife and mother, a chef. Jordan is beautiful but tragic. She struggles to have faith in other people. Brock is a soldier and best friend. Brock is naturally quiet and has a good heart but has suffered tragedy like Jordan. Don’t worry readers, this isn’t a cheating story. This is, however, a story of developing love and moving through trauma that will eventually reach a happily ever after.

This is a story that is going to stand out for me in my memory for a very long time. Owen has written this book very well. The story is magically woven with and drew me in from the start. This isn’t a fluffy romance. This isn’t the book that makes your panties bunch and the steam factor is off the scale. This is a realistic love story, one that doesn’t necessarily paint the characters as fabricated. I am surprised that this story hasn’t received more praise and has not left a dent in the world. When I compare some of the books I’ve enjoyed to this, I have to shake my head. I enjoy reading for entertainment and sometimes value fluff and sugar to keep me happy. This isn’t that kind of book. This is a story that will make you feel anxiety, make you feel sad, make you hope that they find a happily ever after. This is a book that grows hair on your chest and makes you look at your life. This is synonymous with this website’s name, it is a GoodRead.

I know I have a small friend base here on GoodReads being new. But I hope the friends that I have here on the website read my review and consider this book. The content is heavy, so this book should be approached as such. I think you’ll love it like I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When I See You.

01/07/2013
30.0% "Wow - intense and sad. I am really enjoying this story so far. Its real, and I feel reading the pages of this story. So far the story is haunting me while I'm at work. I keep wanting to steal a few glances when nobody is looking."
01/07/2013
57.0% "Really fantastic moment: "Because everyone deserves to have their dreams come true. Driving this car feels like a dream come true to me; I'm sure you feel that way too. It's something unexpected that you really want to do. Now. Drive your car.""
100.0% "Review to come!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna I'm marking this to read but I'm going to need some spoilers !!! Ahh my heart can't take it !!!

Krista (More hot and gritty bikers please) (view spoiler)

Crap! The writing is so good, Anna. So real. I saw that some people didn't like that Brock and Jordan had an attraction and that gave me hesitation to reading the book because I didn't want the silly drama but I have to be honest and tell you absolutely nothing happened and there was no silly little love triangle.

I'll keep posting status's as I read this but right now I'm feeling really moody because I can't read this book because I'm at work. I wasn't kidding when I said I want to sneak a few pages when I'm not being watched!

Anna I read your review and I was in tears ! This is a book that I know is a must read for me ! I love books that rip my heart out and introduce me to emotions I never knew I could have ! Thank you for such an honest review !!! I'm sold !!

Krista (More hot and gritty bikers please) I really hope you like it! It really was a fantastic book and I really do hope that this helps hype the story up a bit.

message 5: by Katherine (last edited Jan 08, 2013 09:16PM) (new) - added it

Katherine Owen Thank you for reading my novel, When I See You. Your review is an unexpected gift! I've been struggling for some time now with finishing my current work-in-progress novel, This Much Is True. Yet, reviews like yours serve as this amazing renewal of spirit for me and bolster my confidence for the work. Thank you.

Best,