Alison's Reviews > Big Boned

Big Boned by Meg Cabot

F 50x66
Mar 22, 09

Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

I loved this book just as much as I did the other Heather Wells mysteries. So much, in fact, that I'm sad there aren't any more -- at least for now. Although Cabot says a fourth and fifth are in the works. This was a super fast read (almost too fast, I wanted more!), and the actual mystery -- never that compelling in Cabot's books anyway -- was even more "fluff" than usual, taking a huge backseat to other aspects of the story. But the strange thing is, I didn't mind; I didn't mind that or the fact that Cabot introduces new characters in the beginning of the book that then barely have a memorable or meaningful presence, making it painfully obvious that they are only there to serve as plot devices for the "real" characters. An obvious literary no-no, but where Cabot succeeds is in not muddying up the waters with new characters and instead focusing on the ones the reader is already invested in. Awkward as it may be, not only does it work, but as a reader, you wind up feeling grateful.

These books, like their heroine, and all of us real women out there, are full of tiny flaws and imperfections -- the literary equivalent perhaps of a few extra pounds and some unwanted cellulite. But that doesn't make them any less lovable. And maybe that's Cabot's point. Either way, they're fun, charming, witty, and irresistable, cellulite and all; and well worth looking past a few imperfections.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Boned.