Rita Webb's Reviews > Little House in the Big Woods

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

May 08, 2009

bookshelves: read-with-my-kids, literature
Read in April, 2009

We read this book together, and I was amazed at the level of detail that went into describing what they did to live. The story included making cheese, facing bears and panthers, smoking meat, making straw hats, and such. One year in the life of a family, trying to survive in the Wisconsin woods.

It was a spellbinding tale, and the details about how they did these things weren't boring. It was seen from the perspective of a five year old girl who and spoken from her voice as she experienced things that we could never imagine.

I tried to explain to my daughter how they had to plan for the winter, storing food so that they would have enough to eat. She said, "If they run out, they could go to the store."

"No, that's the point. They didn't have stores." She was very quiet after that. I'm not sure what she was thinking--whether she understood or was still trying to wrap her mind around it.

One word of warning, in one part, the father has the two girls, Mary and Laura, help him clean his gun. I highly recommend talking to your children about never touching guns without parental supervision, just as Pa supervised the girls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House in the Big Woods.