Monica's Reviews > Columbine

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: 2009, nonfiction, genrex
Recommended to Monica by: Very Short List, EarlyWord
Read in April, 2009

I know this book may not be for everyone but it was such an informative, compelling, and heartbreaking piece of work. It feels important.

As other reviewers here have pointed out the author has been covering this material for Salon for nine years. He destroys commonly held misconceptions about what happened that day, and frames it in a timeline that unfolds along with our understanding of what really happened and who the killers really were. Cullen is visceral but never sensational, and writes from so many perspectives and with such thorough research I felt like I was getting the real thing.

There are still many unanswered questions at the end of this book, and Cullen leaves us with the understanding that many of the "links" between profiles of school shooters are media fabrications. Its terrifying to know that this can happen anywhere and that the signs are nearly always different for each event. Even scarier, that both Eric and Dylan had loving parents and friends who worked to keep them productive and happy, and were totally shocked by the people they turned out to be. Totally compelling and I think I'll remember this for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.