Jennifer Johnson's Reviews > The Prairie Bridesmaid

The Prairie Bridesmaid by Daria Salamon

2021711
Mar 30, 09

Read in March, 2009

What a surprisingly good book! Salamon write from a very real perspective and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the read.

I liked that the characters had flaws, that no one was the "perfect I've got it together type"- it added even more to the story. It's heartbreaking to see the main character trapped in her bad relationship- but sadly so relatable to so many people I know. My praise for Salamon is that she stayed true to real people, real feelings and real situations. Yes, her characters do frustrating, self sabotaging things- but they come alive in their faults, not in their perfections.

My one complaint is the abrupt ending. I know that in real life nothing every ties itself up in finished little packages- and truthfully, if I admit to myself, the story needed an unfinished ending, to maintain it's "this is real" credibility. But I'm the kind of person who needs the closure, who needs the pretty bow tied up neatly at the end- but there is none of this here. You're left hoping that it all works out- just never knowing if it does or not.

Are you going to write book two in Iran Daria? (HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT)

Also? I love BABA. LOVE. HER. I have a Ukranian grandmother- there's very little exaggeration there. (Except that my grandmother loves the NDP, and doesn't blame them... haha)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prairie Bridesmaid.

03/25/2009 page 159
60.23% "This is a great book, the author has captured the ability to be "real". So far I'm impressed."