Anastacia 's Reviews > Le Temps Viendra: a Novel of Anne Boleyn, Volume I

Le Temps Viendra by Sarah Morris

Jan 09, 13

bookshelves: 2013, e-books, england, historical-fiction, series
Read from January 06 to 09, 2013

I first heard about this book only a few days ago because of the author, Sarah Morris', blog tour - she blogged on several blogs I read avidly & as a result of the tour, I found a couple new ones to read as well. I immediately hunted down her published & asked if I could get a review copy of "Le Temps Viendra" and was floored when the very next morning a copy arrived in my in-box! I immediately started reading (as soon as I learned how to transfer the book to my nook) & was hooked & read about 100 pages that first night, keeping my poor husband awake!

My next day's reading, however, lead me to be a bit disappointed. The phrase "I later learned" was used an awful lot in the first section when the modern day Anne is transported to the Tudor Anne's body. I understand that Morris is trying to explain a fact to us that modern day Anne couldn't begin to know at that point, but some of those things we could have been led to discover on our own (for example, modern day Anne explains that she later learned that Tudor Anne was very close to her mother, and in the very next scene, she's taken a bath & there's a great scene between her mother & Anne. This is a good example of not needing to TELL us Anne was close to her mom, when we could have discovered it for ourselves in the next & following scenes).

Once we get through that bit, however, the story really gets going. This is such a different spin on the usual historical fiction books - not time travel, but being transplanted into another person's body. There's a lot of time spent on comparing modern day England to the Tudor day England (at times, honestly, too much so, as I really am not interested in the modern day stuff). I did throughly enjoy the parts where modern day Anne speculates that Tudor Anne was famed for her intelligence or sex appeal because of the modern day Anne living in her body.

All in all, however, I can't say I really loved this book. It only covers a very short span of time - leaving room for the rest of the series - but drags a good deal in parts, especially the middle and early second half of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Le Temps Viendra.

01/09/2013