Liz's Reviews > Silent on the Moor

Silent on the Moor by Deanna Raybourn

Mar 18, 09

This one took me a little while to get into just because my mind was stuck in the last series I just finished, but once I got into the book, I couldn't put it down. Just like the first two books in the this series, the author just teases me by putting Julia and the oh so fabulous Brisbane together for short snippets and conversations that are over much too quickly. I enjoyed the mysteries in each book, but what drove the series is the wonderful relationship between these incredible leading characters. I love that once again I didn't see the ending coming which is basically how I can tell if the book is a good mystery. But the thing that puts this book over the top is the ending. Miss Raybourn could not have ended this book and series any better. She had collected a wonderful array of characters and the ratio of people who lived happily ever after to people who ended up either dead or dissapointed was perfect. I loved the balance in the book of people who broke the mold (with exception of the lesbian sister which is one mold I don't think needs to be broken) and people who played by the rules....which every family needs. I liked that the author showed that people can be happy both ways (I loved Orlando's fiance even though she was only in the book for about three pages because in a family where so many were living happily outside the box it was nice to see that there are people out there that were living exactly how society deemed appropriate and were happy with it too. Because even though I like reading about a heroine who broke the rules of society.....in real life I probably wouldn't dare to do the same thing, hence my connection with the fiance at the end who was such contrast to the wonderful leading lady Julia). Loved it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent on the Moor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angie Yep. Just so good. I adored the ending. Although, the good news is it's not the last book! The fourth one is due out October of next year.

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz no way! I was certain that was the last when she summed everything up there in the last chapter. I'm glad to be wrong!

Angie I know! I would have been very happy with that ending. But I am, of course, thrilled to get more.

JayeL I was contemplating the Victorian sensibilities and wondering if we, of 2012, cannot possibly understand how shocking two unmarried people being alone together was at the time?