Teague's Reviews > The Mezzanine

The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker

M 50x66
Aug 22, 2007

bookshelves: readrecently
Recommended for: those with OCD or who are prone to non-sequitors
Read in June, 2007

I really loved this book. I've not read many novels since high school, and thus don't have a lot to compare it to, but I think it might now be my favorite book.

To give away the plot: Man rides up escalator, thinks about stuff. That's it -- no other characters, no "rising action," or whatever they called it in English class, but it's still dazzling and engaging. Nicholson Baker picks up little details and riffs on them, spending pages nesting digression within digression (with the aid of liberal footnoting), cumulatively highlighting how we're shaped by the minutiae of the world around us.

There was a great deal of recognizing myself in the main character's musings, and my enjoyment of this book may have been exaggerated by the fact that I could probably be diagnosed with OCD. But there are so many spot-on observations about things and people (in general), and the collision between the two, that I bet you'll like it, too. And like me, you may find you can't help but get swept up in the enthusiasm and wonder that Baker emits for everything in the world.

Anyway, highly recommended. I'll definitely be reading more Nicholson Baker.

(And, if you've read it, you'll appreciate this: A few weeks into my new job, the laces on both of my dress shoes broke in the same week! It was such a double coincidence (the laces with each other and the book) that I was almost glad they broke.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mezzanine.

12/12/2016 marked as: read