Mary-Ann's Reviews > The Shadow Rising

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

Apr 03, 2009

Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The Shadow Rising is the fourth installment of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time Series. As with “The Dragon Reborn” he continues to enrich the depth of the ensemble cast of protagonists. This is achieved through separate perspectives, adventures and challenges, sometimes while the characters are even in geographic proximity. We are also allowed to explore more of the antagonists of the shadow, though not in depth there are limited glimpses into their worlds and perspectives. There are references to the previous two books, while not integral to the understanding of the plot completely, having recently read the first three novels definitely aided with the ability to ‘guess’ where certain chapters were headed before they explicitly revealed themselves. I find this especially true when it had to do with the Shadow.

I will admit that at times some of the cast of characters can be frustrating, and I have to remind myself that they are still young, impetuous and for the most part sheltered -except for their recent experiences. It is easy to become annoyed with them at times, but in the ends, you forgive it. Much like good friends you are willing to forgive their flaws because you have grown to love them despite their imperfections.

***spoilers***

Once again the cast starts out together , this time at the Stone of Tear, though grappling with different dilemma’s and frustration. Rand continues to question the Aes Sedai motives. We also see Min’s Journey to Tar Valon finally complete (Left off in “The Dragon Reborn”) . And we are introduced more fully to The Forsaken. And learn some insight into their History, who is who. And just how the ‘whole’ that opened up the world to the dark ones prison came into being.

I feel that though Rand is Central to the Series, Perrin Aybara is the evident star of this particular book. The battles, the triumph and the heartache he experiences in the two rivers really touched me. I even cried, yes cried at the end of their storyline in this particular novel. I know that I might be the oddball, but perhaps because I was already in love with the characters, perhaps it was simply the mood I was in but I enjoyed this book the most so far of the series.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Rising.

03/28/2009 page 0
0.0% ";) Well its out of the plastic wrap... will probably start reading it tomorrow."
03/29/2009 page 201
19.96% "Okay so now I know-know... :-D"
show 5 hidden updates…