Suzanne's Reviews > Snow in August

Snow in August by Pete Hamill

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: coming-of-age, bookmooch-book
Read in April, 2009

What a great book!! If you've read and loved any books by Chaim Potok, this one is for your reading enjoyment.

A 12year old boy lives with his mom & is an altar boy. On his way to church on day, he hears a person yelling something. The boy goes to see if there is a problem & the rabbi tells him that since this is the Sabbath, he isn't able to turn on the light. You can't work on the Sabbath. The boy turns on the light for him & during the next months, he befriends the rabbi. He continues to do this selfless act for many months. They befriend each other & the boy teaches him English while the rabbi teaches him Hebrew. The rabbi also tells him stories of his younger days in Prague & what happened to his wife.

The boy has 2 best friends and he learns who his best friends REALLY are when tragedy strikes.

This is the first book that I've read by Mr. Hammill. I wouldn't mind reading another by him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow in August.

04/13/2009 page 56
04/14/2009 page 82
21.35% "Michael(main character)& the rabbi become friends. Michael will teach the rabbi & the rabbi will teach Michael Yiddish."
04/16/2009 page 133
34.64% "Michael is learning about the rabbi's life in Prague when he was a boy."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Linda Suzanne: I love, love, love Pete Hamill. He has such a way with words and especially his characterizations of children. I read North River and recommended it to my book club, and they all (this is a first) loved it. I will be reading Forever by him this summer since it is pretty long and I want to savor the anticipation. Snow in August was another favorite of mine. I just hope he continues to write novels like this.