bookinglibrarian's Reviews > Fire at Eden's Gate: Tom McCall and the Oregon Story

Fire at Eden's Gate by Brent Walth

U 50x66
Mar 18, 2009

Read in March, 2009

This is a fascinating book for wedgie Oregonians like myself who came of age during the Tom McCall era. I was amazed by how much I didn't know was happening in Oregon & the US during the early 1970's and how McCall and Oregon were in the vanguard of many environmental issues--public beach protection, the bottle bill, tough pollution standards for industry, land use laws to contain sprawl, etc. McCall was a maverick in the true sense of the word--an odd Republican who was in the wrong party, fighting and sometimes succumbing to the establishment and his own personal demons to protect the environment of Oregonians.

Brent Walth, (also a wedgie, U of O graduate and Oregonian newspaper journalist), has done extensive research into a variety of issues and history, both regional and national, and compiled them into a readable account of Tom McCall's life and times. Ultimately, it's a sad story--both for McCall and for Oregon as his progressive policies were blamed for Oregon's economic decline of the late 70s/early 80s--some were overturned, others never able to be adopted by other states. I look back on seeing McCall's body lying in state in the rotunda of the Oregon state capitol in 1983 as the end of an era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire at Eden's Gate.