Sara's Reviews > Homicide in Hardcover

Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle

Mar 18, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in March, 2009

Maybe I'm too picky. Maybe I tend to read books more as a writer than a casual reader. Maybe I'm nuts. I don't know. But I do know that Kate Carlisle's Homicide in Hardcover didn't live up to my expectations.

The story is set in the world of book restoration and bibliophiles, literary museums and high brows. But Carlisle has chosen to write the book in an almost chick-lit style. Her protagonist (the book is written in first person) drops cutesy cliches left and right and indulges in way to much soul searching. This fluffy, flirty tone just doesn't tally with the elegant, sophisticated, upper-crust world of first editions and gallery openings. Granted, the reader learns a bit about the process of restoring old books responsibly but, in the words of the protagonist, this process comes across more as a little girl playing grown up than as a professional sharing work she enjoys.

I gave this book two stars rather than one because, despite the problems with the overall tone of the book Carlisle has created a fairly interesting cast of characters. Although I don't think it was necessary for her to introduce all 25+ of them within the first two chapters. It would have been much more effective had she introduced each character at his or her natural entry into the narrative.

I'm keeping in mind that this is a first novel in a series. I will probably even read the second installment despite my disappointment in this book because of the characters and to see Carlisle grow as an author. All in all, this was an acceptable first novel but I do believe that with a slight change in tone and one or two additional drafts it could have been much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homicide in Hardcover.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy I knew from the get-go that this would be in the chick lit area. Most mystery series being put out now are. I think that's what makes them fun. You learn a little. You laugh a little. And its not all mushy gushy. I thought it was great.