Lisa (Bookworm Lisa)'s Reviews > Finished Being Fat: An Accidental Adventure in Losing Weight and Learning How to Finish

Finished Being Fat by Betsy Schow

Jan 06, 13

bookshelves: 2013, arc, inspirational, received-to-review
Read from January 05 to 06, 2013

I wondered if this book is one that I really wanted to read. I have struggled with my weight for a while now. At one point I was within 6 pounds of my weight goal and quit, thus putting it all back on and more. Did I really want to read about someone else's success? Did I want to feel guilty again?

I made a promise to review the book, so I began to read. To my amazement I loved Betsy's writing style and seeing where her mindset was and where she is now. This book is not one that you read and you feel guilty, instead you feel positive and see where changes need to be made in your own life.

In so many ways I see myself in her "fat" self. I have had similar life experiences to hers. I was a musician, but walked away in college. I have an associates degree, never finishing a masters, I have been embarrassed to tell others that I was a stay at home mom. (I just went back to work part time after staying home with my kids for almost 17 years. In some ways I'm embarrassed to let anyone know that I am a lunch lady. I do this so I can be home when my kids are home.)

Her whole point is why do we do that to ourselves? Why do we think we have to live up to a perfect measure? I loved how her self talk changed as she gained knowledge about herself and how she views the world.

This is a wonderful book. I recommend it to anyone of any body type. It's not a book about loosing weight, it's a book about changing your outlook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finished Being Fat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Hart Fabulous review!