Tony's Reviews > Collected Stories and Other Writings

Collected Stories and Other Writings by John Cheever

Mar 18, 09

bookshelves: fiction-short-stories
Read in March, 2009

Cheever, John. COLLECTED STORIES AND OTHER WRITINGS. (2009). *****. Timed to come out at about the same time as the biography written by the editor of this volume, Blake Bailey, this is a comprehensive collection by the Library of America. It also has a companion volume that collects Cheever’s novels that you will be seeing on these pages someday soon. In addition to the stories that have been previously collected in “The Stories of John Cheever,” (1978), which I have in my collection, this volume also reprints some of Cheever’s works not in the earlier volume. Cheever was an amazing master of the short story, and depicted the lives of his characters set in suburban New York that reflected the mores of the time and the inner conflicts that they endured to conform to them. I enjoyed re-reading some of my favorites, including, “The Enormous Radio,” “Goodbye, My Brother,” “Torch Song,” “The Five-Forty-Eight,” and “The Swimmer.” These are stories that once you read them you will never forget them, but you will re-read them and discover new things each time. I can only highly recommend this collection to Cheever fans and, especially, to those who are not familiar with his works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Stories and Other Writings.