Alex's Reviews > The Fall of Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Mar 17, 09

bookshelves: rented

After enjoying Hyperion more then I thought I would because it turned out to be a book you can think about a little as well as just enjoy for the story, this was a let down. The whole Canterbury Tales deal was jettisoned, and it was mostly running around and space battles and Keats (yeah, I'm not sure why Keats either... I can't even think of a reason that there would be an organic shift from Chaucer to Keats). So basically what you got was your average space opera mixed in with some literary allusions that don't fully connect and also time travel, which never really bodes well for anyone (except Marty McFly). As an entertainment it's okay, which is why the two stars.

(you know what's funny, I think that he could have stuck with Chaucer and really done something with The Parlement/Parliament of Birds/Fowls/Foules, the ideas of love and competition and searching for knowledge and partnership and nature and hierarchy would have worked well with the plot. I mean, yeah, a little bit of a push but way less so then Keats (who I might mention is a character in the book, admittedly he was in the first one too, but I chose to ignore that since I could) and it would have been so elegant)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Hyperion.