Catherine's Reviews > The Seance

The Seance by John Harwood

2080192
Mar 17, 2009

Read in March, 2009

I really enjoyed the author's excellent use of multiple narrators. The various narrations rested in each other like nesting boxes and each moved seamlessly into the other.
What I also so hugely appreciated is that the author grasped the reader's intelligence. Maybe it's what I've been reading as of late but I'm sick to death of being pound over the head by whatever details the author deems significant.
No words are wasted in "The Seance" and just as much, there's no over simplification or characters' thinking obvious stupid things. Sure, we all think obvious stupid things. I just don't want to read about it.
I also greatly enjoyed Harwood's use of prose, the depths of his characters despite how they are controlled by the plot and the atmosphere of the book. Dark and gloomy, yeah!
So if you like dark and gloomy, depressed women striving for independence and a house with a lot of atmosphere...well, pick this up. It's great plot-wise and the characters are quite interesting as well. It just has a lot going for it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seance.