Denae's Reviews > Inkdeath

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

Mar 17, 09

bookshelves: alternate-reality-fantasy
Read in March, 2009

The word for this book--one that occurs more than any other besides names and "fire"--would be "longing."
There's the longing of the vaporous White Women, clutching at hearts and pulling them toward eternal peace.
There's the longing of every character, separated from loved ones as all battle to overcome the spreading evil.
There's the longing to become more powerful, especially evident in Orpheus, but also clear in the others, to be more: more alive, more noticed, more feared, or more important.
Over and through all these is the single longing to be home, not that many seemed to know in which world that was. From Elinor to Resa to Meggie to Fenoglio to Dustfinger. They longed to be away from the death and destruction, but they knew it wouldn't disappear just because they did. They longed to be with loved ones in a safe place, or just nearer loved ones if possible.
Each of these "longings" created many problems in Inkdeath, the central plots, hinging on what each character wanted, and what the story brought about. There were so many intricately woven fabrics and plot threads that it was fascinating to watch, and astounding to see come to the end, looking all neat, though the middle was a tangle.
Jacapo surprised me, for one.
I always like to make up ways for the characters to win, but this story has a mind of its own, and I can see that my ideas, just like more of the characters' ideas, would have gone awry just because the Inkworld wouldn't like it. I've heard of characters acting on their own volition, without an author's apparent permission, but never of a world that took on its own personality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkdeath.