Yvonne swinson's Reviews > Massacre at Mountain Meadows

Massacre at Mountain Meadows by Ronald W. Walker

Mar 20, 09

Read in March, 2009

So far very good, although a lot of information to absorb. I was intrigued because a few years ago, my husband and I (our ward, to be precise) were unwitting participants in a PBS special on "mormons" which was supposed to be very favorable to the church. Instead, a huge chunk of the program was on the MMM. Now I live near the infamous site and wanted a truly insightful look at what happened. Since the LDS church opened their archives and contributed research $ to this project, I knew it would be good.

Well, I'm not really sure how to rate this - it didn't have everything I hoped it would, but I don't guess that's fair criteria. As far as research, it's indisputably thorough - almost to the point of confusion in a place or two. But with 120 or so emigrants involved, plus an unknown count of indians and mormon militia, there are a LOT of names, places and times to keep straight. I really don't see how they could have done it "better"

I guess I was hoping for more of the after-story though - maybe I would have felt some small bit of catharsis had I known more of what happened afterwards - with the investigation, with the surviving children, something. There is a brief epilogue, but only focused on one of the perpetrators. I guess I can't really put my finger on what I wanted -it really is just a tough topic - no easy answers and plenty of blame to go around.

The only real complaint I have is that the book is written assuming you already know most of the story, and in this regards, I wish I'd read Juanita Brooks account first, and then this. I think.

Sorry, I guess this isn't all that helpful.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Massacre at Mountain Meadows.

03/19/2009 page 175