Jann Barber's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Jan 04, 2013

Read in January, 2013

What a romp! Written as a series of emails, letters, and other missives sent from various characters to other characters, this tale of a dysfunctional family whose dysfunctions are dysfunctional (try to keep up) kept me on my toes as I tried to figure out what made Bernadette tick.

Lifestyles are lampooned, along with private school tracking needed in order for a child to end up at the correct institute of higher learning years down the road, software development, architecture, Antarctica, neighbors, rumor mongering, and wild proliferation of berry bushes all combine to make this a believably unbelievable story.

Bee, a child whose wish for a family trip to Antarctica, is the person at the center of the story, but her mother, Bernadette, is the figure at the heart of the confusion. In this case, the center and the heart are two different parts.

I highly recommend this book, especially if you need something to read during the bleak and dreary months of winter.

Personally, I would rather enjoy hanging out with Bernadette and her family.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.

Lewis Weinstein We surely agree on this one. See my review just posted ... LEW