G's Reviews > The Old Way of Seeing: How Architecture Lost Its Magic - And How to Get It Back

The Old Way of Seeing by Jonathan Hale

U 50x66
Mar 17, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: design
Read in May, 2009

super uber subjective, talks about old buildings and their greatness b/c of the feeling they evoke. hippy hippy talk.

gets a smidge better towards end when he actually links his uber subjective hippy talk to precedents (flwright, etc.) but still uber subjective. this last part just squeezes it to two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Way of Seeing.

message 1: by J (new)

J Stephenson I am qualified by education and experience (45 years) to refute your 2 star rating. After all, I have this book along with over 100 other books on design and construction on my shelf. But I can't refute your argument because there is no there...there to refute. Instead, I will suggest you switch you reading focus to, oh I don't rhetoric.

message 2: by J (new)

J Stephenson Correction - I mean to say "Oh I don't know...rhetoric". Which brings me to this. Attention Goodreads, Making corrections in the comment section is really hard. Correcting goes in the wrong place so all I can do is backsp/delete everythin back to my error and start again. A little help please!!! Example;ace- trying to correct backps and g trying to correct everythin. Got it? That's where the corrections landed when I tried to correct them in the proper place in the sentence.

message 3: by J (new)

J Stephenson And because I don't want to backspace/delete all the way back to my last typo, I meant to say, "Oh I don't know...rhetoric?".