Jennifer's Reviews > Nutcase

Nutcase by Charlotte Hughes

Mar 17, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, charlotte_hughes, romance, chicklit
Read in March, 2009 , read count: 1

I really enjoyed this book and I read it super quick - but I can't help but notice the similarities between Charlotte Hughes books and Janet Evanovich's.

Dog? Check. Kate adopts "Mike" a stray who follows her home and proceeds to give birth to a litter in short order.

Old Lady? Check. It Kate's case it is the annoying budinski across the street.

Cross dressing friend? Check. In Kate's case it's a former navy man and chef who is also a patient of hers.

Wacky sidekick who says whatever is on her mind? Check. Mona is no Lula - but she does pretty well for a rich white girl.

Kate irritates me at times with her naivete - the whole episode with the old lady in the park and the dog biscuits had my eyes rolling. Kate is a shrink and yet she meets an old woman in a park who is nice to her dog and immediately trusts her enough to drop her dog off for an entire day? Yeah. I would never do that so I guess I would think Kate would know better too. Maybe this scene was just supposed to show that Kate had issues too? I wouldn't think that would be needed considering everything else that is going on in Kate's life.

I liked that not every situation ended with rainbows and lollypops and The Brady Bunch laugh track in the background. Specifically the Ricky situation. I think it would have been easy to go another way on that one - and Charlotte Hughes didn't take the easy way out on that one so I commend her on that.

All in all I am really enjoying this series and I look forward to reading the next book Hanging by a Thread when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nutcase.

03/26/2009 page 68