Richard's Reviews > Rabbit-Proof Fence: The True Story of One of the Greatest Escapes of All Time

Rabbit-Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington

Mar 21, 2009

Read in March, 2009

A memoir about three Aboriginal girls who are taken out of their home in Northern Australia (during 1930s) and put in a ‘school’ to train them to become servants. This is all with government approval because the girls are part white and part native. The oldest girl is determined not to stay and to get back to her home. They run away from the school-prison and find the rabbit proof fence that runs the length of Australia and walk home, eating rabbits, beetles, what ever they could find. Pilkington, whose native name is Nugi Garimara, writes her mothers memoir who was the oldest girl. We wonder how blind sighted the whites were in Australia, America, South America where such unjust treatment because of the color of the skin. I liked this book. It isn’t a great book but it is testament to courage, determination, and the strength of family. I would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit-Proof Fence.

message 1: by John (last edited Mar 17, 2009 04:23PM) (new)

John The kids and I watched the movie. It was good/illuminating and frustrating seeing what mankind does to others. It was also good to see the resiliency of the girls in the story.

Richard Maybe you were the one who told me about this book. I can't remember. Human determination is wonderful to watch. Roz, The Long Walk, Maiden Voyage and others help me to not whine so much.