Carol's Reviews > Still Alice

1620952
Apr 04, 09

bookshelves: contemporary
Read in March, 2009

Still Alice was an informative, page-turning read for me. After having experienced the struggle of Alzheimers with my step-father-in-law, John, this topic has intrigued me greatly. What a cruel disease this is! I wondered over and over, "What is going through his mind?" Lisa Genova tries to imagine what this is like and writes from a first person point of view, which makes it seem quite real. I agree with her interpretation of the early stages of this illness, but there is no way that I know of that she can explain the later stages, because the victim is incapable of expressesing these ideas. However, being a work of fiction, I will give her credit for writing a somewhat plausible possibility. This story is very sad, but also worthwhile to help anyone dealing with these issues. The reactions of each family member involved was quite interesting, and proved that one never knows how a person will react. This is definitely a "family" illness; the surrounding people suffer terribly along with the individual. My Pollyannish personality wants to believe that "Alice" (and John, and all others who suffer from this illness) did not realize what was happening near the end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.