Ronyell's Reviews > Hubert the Pudge: A Vegetarian Tale

liked it
bookshelves: henrik-drescher, animal-books, read-in-2008
Recommended for: The Vegetarian audience; Henrik Drescher Fans
Read in February, 2008

I have always loved Henrik Drescher’s wacky illustrations in most of his children’s books, so I decided to give this book a shot. “Hubert the Pudge” is a recent children’s book by Henrik Drescher and it is about how a pudge named Hubert escapes from his cruel master, Farmer Jake to live in the forest. After Hubert grows to be twice the size of an elephant, he goes back to Farmer Jake’s farm to rescue his fellow pudges from being eaten.

Alright, it was a bit hard for me to find what I liked about this book. I will admit that I did like the way that Henrik Drescher created a creature called a pudge, as the pudges have purple black dotted long horns, have long noses that look like Pinocchio’s nose and have faces that look human but have pig-like bodies. It was also a bit interesting to see the dark side of the meat industry as we get a glimpse into what happens to animals (or pudges in this case) when they are thrown into processing farms. I also did admired the way that Hubert was extremely brave in trying to rescue his friends from Farmer Jake’s processing farm since it truly showed how much he cares about his friends.

Now here is the reason why I gave this book only a three star rating. One of the reasons was that I thought that this book was not as creative as Henrik Drescher’s earlier works. The illustrations lacked the crazy yet colorful feel that made Henrik Drescher’s books extremely out of the ordinary as the characters looked a bit too flat and the colors in this book are mainly in dull colors, making this book seem too boring to read. Also, the story seems a bit too predictable since I have heard a dozen tales, whether it was on TV or through books, where animals escape from their evil owners to find a new life without fear. The story seems to lack a creative flair that were shown in Henrik Drescher’s earlier books like in his book “Simon’s Book” where the plot is about a boy’s adventures inside a drawing or in “Looking for Santa Claus” where a girl rides a cow to find Santa Claus.

To be honest, I do not really know what audience this book was aiming for because while I think some vegetarians might be interested in this book because of the vegetarian theme, it did not feel like a vegetarian book. It is like the book is spending 90% of the time with Hubert escaping from the farm and it felt more like an epic tale than a tale that explains about the healthy and nutritious vegan food, even though they briefly mentioned tofu. All in all, “Hubert the Pudge” might have an interesting take on the food industry, but this book is probably not one of Henrik Drescher’s best books.

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hubert the Pudge.

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Ronyell!!

Ronyell Thanks Rane!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Love the review!

What is the target age group, Ronyell?

Ronyell Thanks UM!! I'm thinking maybe ages 5 and up because the idea of animals getting eaten might scare smaller children.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Very true... and my grandson is very sensitive... maybe this should be a pass.

I just bought The Boy Who Changed the World by Andy Andrews for him for Christmas. I hope he loves it!

Ronyell The Boy Who Changed the World? That sounds like a great story UM!! What's the book like?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish It's stories about boys who grew up to make differences in the world... this is what sold me:

This engaging story reveals the incredible truth that everything we do matters! Based on The Butterfly Effect, Andy's timeless tale shows children that even the smallest of our actions can affect all of humanity.

I am a strong believer in that no matter how small, every act can have a huge impact on humanity.

Ronyell That definitely sounds like a great book UM!!! I really love the fact that nobody how small you are, you can always make a huge difference in the world and I always believe too that everyone can make a difference in the world.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Amen, Ronyell, amen!

message 10: by Ronyell (last edited Dec 06, 2010 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ronyell :D

Have you read any of Henrik Drescher's books before?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish No, I haven't. When my kids were little, I did the standards, like Mercer Mayer, Dr. Suess, Shel Silverstein, etc. Now I'm buying a few for the grandkids, and I'm branching out.

Ronyell Oh, you're branching out, like getting new titles for your grandchildren?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yes, new books and authors. I think the The Boy Who Changed the World by Andy Andrews is going to be a good one! I read it and liked it. I hope he will, too.

Ronyell That's great to hear UM!! I hope your grandson enjoys it as much as you did! :D

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Ronyell :)

Ronyell You're welcome! :D

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Excellent review! Thank you.

Ronyell Thanks Kathryn! and you're welcome! :D