Claire Grasse's Reviews > Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog

Marley and Me by John Grogan

Mar 17, 2009

liked it
Read in January, 2007

Anyone who has ever been subjected to a badly behaved dog (say, belonging to a relative) will not find this book as endearing as the rest of the population did. I tried to love this book, but it just evoked unpleasant memories of dogs from my past wreaking havoc on the properties and persons around them while their owners looked on in fond amusement. I actually felt my blood pressure rising at a couple of the scenes that hit a bit too close to memory. It was like watching a badly behaved kid in Wal-Mart whose parents don't know how to control him.

But for people who aren't quite as cranky as I am? It's funny, yes. It's poignant, and you'll probably get a good, cathartic cry or two in before it's all over with. Along the way, be prepared for some pretty in-depth descriptions of Grogan's wife's "female problems," and an unsettling view of Marley's phobias re: thunderstorms. Grogan's a good writer, though, and the story is well-told. Middle of the road on this one, with a slight tip toward the positive because I don't wish to appear Grinch-y.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marley and Me.

message 1: by Carre (new)

Carre Gardner I read a commentary on Marley (the real Marley) from The Dog Whisperer who said exactly what you just said: Marley was a dog whose owners had no clue how to control him. I'm with you: having been subjected to dogs like that in the past (and hey--the present as well!) I cannot even imagine that I would be amused by this book. Great review! Brave of you to go against the flow like that!

Jennifer Word.