Tory's Reviews > Lust for Life

Lust for Life by Irving Stone

Aug 22, 07

Read in June, 2006

I bought this book because it interested me on two levels. First, and ridiculously foremost, the authors name. Irving. The last name of my beloved John. And secondly, it’s a novel about Van Gogh. Van Gogh is nothing if not interesting.

Yet, I was surprised at just how into this book I was. I loved it. I loved Van Gogh’s story as an artist. I loved all that other artists in the story.

Can you imagine sitting at a cafe in Paris with the likes of Van Gogh, Toulouse-Laurtec, Cezanne, Gauguin, Zola and Rousseau? To listen the the arguments and philosophies of the men that were changing the way that people saw art. Because, holy shit would that be awesome.

I loved Theo, and how much he and Vincent loved each other.

It’s impossible for this book to be all the way true, because how was this author to know the conversations that went on. Also, there seems to be dispute about the infamous ear incident. Some say the whole thing, some say just the lobe. The book says he cut most of it off but left the lobe. But I appreciate it all the same. Not just a biography, and not just a novel.

Very good. I have been reading biographies of Impressionist, Post-Impressionist and Expressionist artists all day. I’m fascinated and intrigued, much more than I thought I would be. I want to see the movie about Vincent and Theo, aptly named, Vincent & Theo, with Tim Roth.

Also, have been reading the letters of Van Gogh where Vincent highly encourages Theo to smoke a pipe, as it chases away the blues. Ha!
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lust for Life.