Oriana's Reviews > Remembrance of Things Past: Volume I - Swann's Way & Within a Budding Grove

Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust

Mar 16, 09

bookshelves: to-read

As I was scanning my shelves tonight to decide what to read next, my eye kept snagging on all my longest books – Don Quixote, Hopscotch, Ada, or Ardor, and this. I guess I'm craving something a bit, ah, weighty?

So but I've never even attempted Proust. Can any of my smart bookfriends tell me if this translation is a good one? On the cover it says "The definitive French Pléiade edition translated by C.K. Scott Moncrieff and Terence Kilmartin." Do C.K. and Terence know what's up? Or should I hold off until I acquire a better edition?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remembrance of Things Past.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Oriana, the translation you've referenced is/was pretty much the English standard... BUT over the past several years, Penguin Classics has released new translations (each volume by a different translator) which, I believe, are supposed to be more modern, although I haven't read them. (As yet, the first four volumes out of seven are available in the new translations.)

message 2: by Oriana (new) - added it

Oriana Word. Thanks for the advice, you guys. I do like my classics to be as modern as possible, but I also like being able to afford to eat, so I think I'ma stick with the edition I have. How will this work for airplane reading, you think? Is that a mistake?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooooooh, Proust as airplane reading? I dunno... and I love Proust. Of course, I can't read while I fly anyway because I'm too busy piloting the plane with my imaginary brake and gas pedals. (No, I'm not fun to travel with... and I'm not sure Proust is either.)

t-rex I'd stick with the edition you currently have too. I did find Proust engrossing but I had to work a little to get to that point. I hope you find him as rewarding as I did, Oriana!

message 5: by Oriana (new) - added it

Oriana Thanks David – point taken.

And thanks for the vote of confidence, t-rex! I guess I may hold off on this until I'm back from vacation, but I will definitely get to it soon.