Ali's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

F 50x66
Jan 04, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

Ok, here's the deal with this one. I'm a pretty heavy grader. I give 5 stars to the few books that give me chills, books that force me to reenter the real world as if I'm waking from a dream. These books become a part of me, and I treasure them as the precious objects they are. I give four stars to solid books, books that I would definitely read again and truly loved and had enjoyed the ride they gave me.I give three stars to books that I liked well-enough and I'm not sorry I read, but wouldn't read again.

For the first time, I wish GR let us to partial stars, because I think 3.5 fits this book exactly. Funny books are hard to write, but this one was fantastic in that respect. The narrations were amazing, and the dialogue, which is the hardest part to write in terms of comedy, was spot on ("Lean, my boy. Lean!") I liked most of it, and I wanted to LOVE it, but all the techno/Google babble went over my head and made the book not completely enjoyable. I understand that he was trying to intertwine the old and the new, but it just seemed over the top and fell sort of flat at the same time. I get that Google is the new "magic" in the world and Googlers are the new magicians, but I just didn't care for that angle.

Still, his writing was great, I loved the characters, and if he writes another book I will definitely check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.