Alea's Reviews > Genesis

Genesis by Bernard Beckett

May 03, 09

bookshelves: read-for-review
Read in April, 2009

Genesis is an amazing and original book, I’ve never read anything like it before, granted I’m new to the dystopian genre. The book really challenges a lot of ideas that we never even think about because we think we already know the answers, I liked how much philosophy was in the book. I also really liked the author’s take on what our world could evolve into in the not too distant future.

The way the book was structured was very interested, basically the whole history of this republic is told by Anaximander to a panel of examiners for entrance into The Academy. She explains the critical points that shaped their republic, mainly dealing with a man named Adam and his interactions with an Artificial Intelligence named Art. The exam is split into 4 hour long sessions and 3 breaks.

While I liked the book from the beginning, the ending shocked me several times over and that, that was priceless. I would definitely recommend the book for the ending alone. It’s pure genius and I was totally caught off guard. All in all an amazing book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genesis.