Kari's Reviews > Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female

Becoming Myself by Willa Shalit

Mar 20, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, women-s-studies
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female is an interesting read. It is entertaining and uplifting with stories from famous and infamous women. These women talk of everything from first period to domestic violence. I disagree with some of the analysis these women give. Growing up female means something different and manifests in different ways.
Recently, several of my friends and I were discussing when we figured out we were feminists. I always knew; I always knew that I was equal with boys. I also believe that growing up female has some great aspects. Girls get don't have to deal with the current definition of masculinity. We can cry in public, and we can punch someone in the face (not that I recommend doing that). Then again there are negative aspects as well. There is the culture of fear females are raised in that few males ever understand. Females are subjected to a conventional and rarely disputed ideal body image.
I think the book loses some of it strength by the vastness of the essays. They cover so many topics, but still leave aspects of being female out. I also found the book to focus heavily on journalism and actresses, but if the author of the piece doesn't fall into one of those categories then you founded a non-profit.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Myself.