Allison's Reviews > Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy

Firebirds Rising by Sharyn November

Jun 16, 09

bookshelves: 1owned, genre-high-fantasy
Read in June, 2009

When I stumbled upon the first Firebirds anthology, I fell in love and waited patiently for a sequel. After several years, I've finally returned to find Firebirds Rising. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy Rising half as much as I enjoyed its predecessor. Perhaps the reason for this is that the tales in Firebirds were more fantasy, whereas the tales in this more recent volume are much closer to scifi, which I am not as comfortable with.

Despite my disappointment, Firebirds Rising is still a pretty good read. Although stories like Huntress, Blood Roses and Quill fall flat, the volume also includes wonderful, fun stories like Hives, Wintermoon Wish, The Wizards of Perfil, and my personal favorite, In The House Of The Seven Librarians.

Even though I rated it a mere 3, I would still recommend this book because it serves as a sort of YA fantasy/scifi "sampler"- allowing readers to experience wellknown and up and coming writers in the genre and decide which ones they like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firebirds Rising.

06/12/2009 page 40