Emily's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Jan 21, 13

bookshelves: 2013, nonfiction, science
Read in January, 2013

This book reminded me a lot of Willpower in that it also would have struck me as brilliantly illuminating if I had read it 15 years earlier.

As it is, I thought this book about introverts did a good job of expressing things I already understand, such as the idea of understanding your own "sweet spot" of mental/social stimulation: "Imagine how much better you'll be at this sweet-spot game once you're aware of playing it." And this is a pretty good description of life inside my head: "Introverts tend to sit around wondering about things, imagining things, recalling events from their past, and making plans for the future." The closest thing to new information from this book, for me, was the discussion of how introverts can steel themselves to be more extrovert-like in the pursuit of things they care passionately about. That feels right, and I'd never quite thought of it that way.

You would probably find this book more worthwhile if the concept of introversion were new to you and/or you recognize yourself in it. In a nutshell, introverts are people who tend to be thoughtful and conscientious, who take time to recover from social situations rather than gaining energy from them, and who are easily overstimulated, in part because they are very observant and notice more details.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy I like this review. I just gave the book to my son for Christmas and your review made me glad I did.

Tamara Temple Did you give it three stars because it was info/thoughts you had already affirmed for yourself?

Emily If you look at my profile, I explain how I use stars. Three stars is a perfectly okay read, in my book.