Ryan's Reviews > Clapton

Clapton by Eric Clapton

Mar 16, 09

Read in January, 2009

Because Eric Clapton has been part of the the blues / rock community for so long, reading about his life is like reading the history of rock n' roll. This book is a true autobiography, written by Clapton with little or no outside help. Because of that, it reads like the memoirs of a rock star, written in his own sometimes rambling voice. English professors beware, unlike many autobiographies that I've read where a professional writer has sat down with the subject and parsed up their life into nice, neat chapters with perfect grammar and syntax, this book was written by the subject as a long, chronological narrative of his life with chapter breaks long interspersed where convenient. To many, the style might be a turn off, but to me I found it fascinating. The book is raw, and reading it I felt like Eric Clapton had sat down in front of me and told me about his life. The anecdotes in this book are priceless, from accounts of Clapton and Hendrix going club to club in Greenwich Village jamming with whatever house band happened to be on stage to a first hand account of Clapton and John Lennon reahearsing for a gig in the first class cabin of a plane over the Atlantic. The account of the death of his son and how it affected his life was especially poignant as he told it in his own words. This book is a must read for any fan of classic rock.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clapton.