Lani's Reviews > Small Favor

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

Mar 16, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, own
Read in March, 2009

A fairly generic Dresden book, but an enjoyable one. It seemed less formulaic, but that may just be because there was a longer gap than usual between this one and the last one I read.

A bit more character development, and a new love interest for Harry. Mostly some repeat characters - some more Denarian hijinks which adds some more depth to the Knights and Michael. Marcone appears, various fae, and the Archive and her faithful Kincaid all show up. Unfortunately, there wasn't much of Molly or Thomas in this one - both tended to exist "off-camera" more than anything else.

Murphy finally takes a bit more of a stand this time around. Though I miss the involvement of Chicago PD, it seems that Butcher is tired of that and is veering more into the supernatural WWIII plots. Things keep hinting more at the Black Council, and the constant squabble between Winter and Summer.

Dresden does appear to be "growing up" a bit as he leads his own apprentice and his various Wardens. Much of this book was spent chasing after baddies with less "crime-solving" than some previous books. The series seems to be leaving behind a lot of the paranormal mystery stuff, and becoming much more urban fantasy plot. Still enjoyable, but I felt that the mystery stuff was kind of the appeal.

A good, quick read for any Dresden fan. I'm happy to see that Butcher hasn't gotten into a rut and seems to be trying to keep his characters maturing and going in new directions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Favor.