Nathan's Reviews > Ender in Exile

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Mar 16, 09

Read in March, 2009

This book is for anyone who might have been upset that the Ender from the original book *suddenly* becomes someone almost completely different in Speaker for the Dead. His motivations, goals, and ambitions seem completely different. Something changed between books 1 and 2. So, Card wrote this 'midquel' (his term).

I enjoyed this book. It fleshes-out a lot of the story for me. It also reads as a wonderful tribute to the soldiers who fight in wars, but survive, only to come home to a country with no good support system for reintegrating them into society.

The reason that I didn't give this book 5 stars is for 2 reasons. First, because the conflict is not really that well developed. The characters are done wonderfully. However, like writing a Superman comic, how do you write a conflict into a story where the hero has already proven that he can overcome all adversity? Second, as a result, the ending still doesn't really feel like an epic victory. There are some small loose ends that are tied-up which feel nice. But since the odds never felt insurmountable and we never actually doubted that Ender would do anything BUT succeed, the victory is not as sweet.

Without spoiling anything, I just want to say that I hope Mr. Card will still write another sequel that ties-up one final thread that I still care very much about. It's not done in this book, but I hope to see it in a future one.

Finally, I liked this book because the characters end well. While the book was not my favorite in the series, at least it didn't make me cry. (Like the 4th Shadow book)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender in Exile.