Mojca's Reviews > Lion's Heat

Lion's Heat by Lora Leigh

May 17, 10

bookshelves: series-breeds, lora-leigh, paranormal-romance-fantasy, bodyguard-military-merc-gov-cop-leo, cover-hunkiness, bitchslappable-heroine
Read on April 28, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Jonas Wyatt is finally getting his due...

I had high expectations for this book. I've been waiting for Jonas' story almost since the guy first appeared in this series, and seeing how arrogant this lions was, how manipulative, I simply couldn't wait to see him brought to his knees by the right woman.

To say I was disappointed is a huge understatement.

Rachel sure didn't fill the bill for Jonas' mate, IMHO. I felt he deserved more, I expected, I wanted more for him. He got a whiny, emotionally-crippled, bratty icicle instead of a worthy female and mate.
I know it's all about the conflict between the hero and heroine, she has to oppose the mating at first, it makes for an exciting and exhilarating read, but this was a bit too much for me. Rachel purposefully hurt him at every turn, knowing what her denial did to him, yet still she persevered in her stubbornness.
For two thirds of the story!
I'm all for conflict, but not that much of it.

She finally came around in the last third (no one informed us readers th mating hormone can bring on a personality change as well), but it was a little too late. Where was the feisty, no-nonsense woman at the beginning of the story? The one who stood up to the Leo, defended her mate? The glimpse I got of her wasn't enough and came way too late for comfort.

It always comes down to the heroine for me it seems. But in this case she wasn't the only problem this book had. The lack of actual story bothered me, the villain appeared in the beginning and at the end, leaving a huge gulf in between that was filled mostly with the heroine's overreaction about everything and everyone, and generic, impersonal, going-through-the-motions sex scenes. I sure didn't feel the love that was supposed to be between them.

The only redeeming quality of this story was Jonas himself, but unfortunatley he lost most of what made him Jonas. He wasn't himself anymore, and I refuse to believe it was the only way for Ms. Leigh to "do him justice". Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing him so helpless against the mating heat (it's what I was actually looking forward to), so utterly sweet in falling in love, but the fact he lost a part of himself in the process didn't sit well with me. Whether another heroine might have made a difference is a moot point. What's done is done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lion's Heat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rossy Alathea, did you finally get your copy? They seem to be taking their sweet time with yours!

Mojca I'm still patiently waiting. There's no hurry, though. I'm happily immersed in the Arcane Society series.

Rossy I totally hear you Rachel. But like you said "...moot point. What's done is done." Great review, thu!

message 4: by Kfa (new) - added it

Kfa i hated rachel . she is the worst mate ever. so stupidly selfish and such a horrible bore and a bitch to boot. I am a bit prejudiced coz i am in love with Jonas, have been since he made his first appearance in the series. He deserved so much better.At no point in the story did i feel that Rachel deserved Jonas. And i wish others wud get a clue to how much he actually does care about everyone and give him a break. I hated how harmony wudn't allow him to even c his nephew.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG Kfa i totally agree she is the mate i most dislike out of all the other girl characters!

message 6: by Ali (new) - rated it 1 star

Ali Joseph omg i thought was me alone who hated rachel and the book. Jonah deserved so much more!i jus don't get the 5 stars this novel is getting..I'm an avid fan of Breeds but i had to ask myself..did we read the same book?