Laurie's Reviews > Cemetery Dance

1955435
Jun 02, 2009

bookshelves: lincoln-child-douglas-preston
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Cemetery Dance, the ninth book in the Pendergast series, is another solid performance from Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. The story opens with the disturbing murder of William Smithback, a journalist who is a close friend of Agent Pendergast. This shocking crime becomes even more sensational when witnesses insist it was committed by a man who has been dead for weeks. Pendergast teams up with his old ally, Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta, to investigate the case. As the facts slowly unravel, things get stranger at each turn. Clues relating to Voodoo and Obeah are present at the scene and a strange village called the Ville is at the center of the controversy due to some of their possible religious practices. With so many players involved and more attacks occuring, this case has become a media time bomb and must be solved quickly.
This book was a good story with most of our favorite players back in action. While it lacked some of the luster of the Diogenes trilogy, it was still a well-written fast paced mystery. Agent Pendergast was a winner as always. With each book, I adore his character more. I have to admit I missed some of his supporting cast though. Constance was absent from this story and I like her interaction with Pendergast. She was the yin to his yang in many of the other stories and I miss the balance they shared. This was alleviated some by the reappearance of Wren but I find him far less interesting than our dear Constance. What really shocked me though was the immediate murder of Smithback. He was a major player in several of the other stories and his relationship with his wife Nora (another recurring character) was just fully blooming. The pace of Preston and Child's books is relentless and kept me reading as fast as I could. Although unsure of the storyline at the beginning, I was intrigued by the end. The way the story was woven together was impressive to say the least. Honestly, I always love Preston & Child and this book reminded me again why I feel that way!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cemetery Dance.

06/01/2009 page 240