Dd's Reviews > Divergent

Mar 04, 14

Read from January 03 to 05, 2013

WHOA!!Everyone....

STOP!

And make way for this young kickass heroine...

Beatrice Prior.

'Those who want power and get it live in terror of losing it.That's why we have to give power to those who do not want it.'

Okay,so by now nearly everyone has read this book.This is a book which needs no introduction.So,I'll try to keep storyline short.
(As short as I can for a book of nearly 500 pages!)

This books depicts a dystopian Chicago world where the society is divided into five groups or factions as they call it.

I would have liked to explain how,when,by whom these groups were formed but frankly it was not explained in this book.

So all I know is that people who blamed different causes like selfishness,cowardice,ignorance,etc. for their various problems,formed different groups or factions against it.

Now,the system works in a way that people of Abnegation rule the government as they are supposed to be selfless.People of Dauntless will guard and protect because they are supposed to be brave and so on.

Anyways,now nearly this whole book is about the process of INITIATION.

So what is this initiation?

Every 16 year old from every faction gets an aptitude test which tells them which faction are they cut out for among the five.But that is just meant to help them choose,of which faction do they want to become a member of.Once they choose,they will become initiates who will have to complete the initiation process to become members.But if they fail,they become factionless.

Now,sounds good.Right?

But...

Not everything is as it seems!!

In reality,people who leave their faction and choose others are branded as traitors and they have to leave their families behind.

So,we see our 16 year old Beatrice (belonging to Abnegation) in a lot of confusion.

Her aptitude test result was inconclusive. She had a choice of choosing between 3 factions whereas others only got only one.

Why?

(view spoiler)

For 16 years she has tried to mold herself in.For 16 years she has tried to be selfless.

So,of course she will choose Abnegation (the selfless)!!

Or will she??

Her choice clearly stuns everyone.

And now she will have to undergo this highly competitive initiation and extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations.Only if she can pass these, she'll belong to her new faction.

Tris is her new identity!

And there she first meets with Four.

He is the training instructor of initiates who tranferred from other groups.He is intimidating but also very handsome.And Tris feels a strange connection with him.

(I wish I could gush a little about Four but can't do so without giving a whole lot of spoilers.)

But suddenly a lot of things are going on.All around,there is danger prevailing.Also there is the fact that Tris is a (view spoiler) and she has no idea what that entails.Only that it can be very,very dangerous and probably deadly.And of course among all this,she has to make it through the initiation,decide between friends and foes and protect herself from a few other initiates who will do anything to get rid of her.

So Readers,you'll have to read this book to find out what actually happens.That is if you have not already!!

---------------------------------------------------

WARNING - Spoilers ahead!!

Now,what bugged the hell out of me...

The climax!!

OMG!It was a series of whirlwind affairs somehow put together.

And what was with Tris kicking the hell out of Molly just to take out her anger?? It gave me a pause.

And how the hell did her mother manage to save her in the end??

Anyways,inspite of all these,I enjoyed it.Though it could have been a lot better.

All that said I will surely read Insurgent!!

That's all for now,Readers.

Ta-Ta!!

129 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Amy (Foxy) Yay. Love this book. You've probably already been warned but book 2 has a huge cliff hanger

message 2: by Dd (last edited Jan 05, 2013 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Amy (Foxy) wrote: "Yay. Love this book. You've probably already been warned but book 2 has a huge cliff hanger"

I just saw this Amy!!Thanks!I did not know about the cliffhanger.I'll wait for the 3rd part to come out thn!!:D

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Great D! So, I take, you recommend both the book and the movie... right? lol!

message 4: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Georgia wrote: "Great D! So, I take, you recommend both the book and the movie... right? lol!"

hehe!Yes!But the movie's not out yet!It is scheduled for 2014!!Eagerly waiting for it from today!!And thanks!!:))

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review as always Dd!

message 6: by kristina (last edited Jan 05, 2013 12:12PM) (new) - added it

kristina Great review Dd!! Was that the movie cast for the protagonists in your gifs ??

message 7: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Blacky wrote: "Great review as always Dd!"

Thank you Blacky!!:))

message 8: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd kristina wrote: "Great review Dd!! Was that the movie cast for the protagonists in your gifs ??"

Thank you Kristina!The casts have not been decided yet.Those are just fan based I think!!:))

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina FANTASTIC REVIEW!OMG D!It's amazing!:)

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Great review Dd! I loved this book!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Nicely done, Dd!

Elizabetta Nice review Dd. I loved this book (actually the whole point of the factions was a weaker point in the book for me but I chose to go with it...). Book 2 is awesome too, can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. (BTW, did you read the prequel about Four? It's good too! Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story)

Marina Great review Dd!I'm really glad you liked it, it's stunning:D

Debra Fabulous review, D!! Will def read this one before the movie comes out!! :))

Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty* Again! Stunning review Dd, but if u rated it 3 stars I'm not sure I wanna read it?

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy  (Reviews by Tammy & Kim) Fantastic review, Dd!

Charlie Awesome review! I enjoyed the pictures, too. Haha. Glad to see AnnaSophia and Saoirse as Tris here. They were the ones who were in my mind while I was reading it.

Alexis *Reality Bites* Fab review, Dd!!

Jenny Levine Lovely review, D!!! Saoirse Ronan as Tris! :)

message 23: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Gina wrote: "FANTASTIC REVIEW!OMG D!It's amazing!:)"

Thank you so much Gina!!:))

message 24: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Monique's Musings wrote: "Great review Sweetie:)"

Kristen wrote: "Nicely done, Dd!"

Baba wrote: "Great review, D!"

Lisa wrote: "Great review Dd! I loved this book!"

Thank you Monique,Kristen,Baba and Lisa!!:))

message 25: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Elizabetta wrote: "Nice review Dd. I loved this book (actually the whole point of the factions was a weaker point in the book for me but I chose to go with it...). Book 2 is awesome too, can't wait to hear your thoug..."

Thank you Elizabetta!And there is a prequel??I'll read it right now.I did not know.Thank you so much.And I'll surely read book 2 soon too!!:D

message 26: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Marina wrote: "Great review Dd!I'm really glad you liked it, it's stunning:D"

Thank you Marina!!I did like it!!:))

message 27: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Debra wrote: "Fabulous review, D!! Will def read this one before the movie comes out!! :))"

Thank you so much Debra!!Yes,I think it's better to finish it before the movie.The movie should be stunning!!:))

message 28: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Alexis ~*Your official Book PIMP*~ wrote: "Fab review, Dd!!"

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Great Dd!"

Tammy wrote: "Fantastic review, Dd!"

Thank you so much Alexis,Heather and Tammy!!:))

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise Great review Dd!:)

message 30: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Jenny wrote: "Lovely review, D!!! Saoirse Ronan as Tris! :)"

Thank you so much Jenny!And I really like Saoirse!

message 31: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Farah wrote: "Again! Stunning review Dd, but if u rated it 3 stars I'm not sure I wanna read it?"

Thank you so much Farah!!And don't worry,I'm a little stingy with stars!!But if it's your 1st dystopian,go for Hunger Games!!:))

message 32: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Charlie wrote: "Awesome review! I enjoyed the pictures, too. Haha. Glad to see AnnaSophia and Saoirse as Tris here. They were the ones who were in my mind while I was reading it."

Thank you so much Charlie!!I think Saoirse will be the perfect Tris!!:))

message 33: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Louise wrote: "Great review Dd!:)"

Thank you Louise!!:))

Charlie I agree. ASR seems to represent Beatrice, rather than badass Tris. Too bad, Saoirse wasn't casted. I really think she can give justice to the role.

message 35: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Charlie wrote: "I agree. ASR seems to represent Beatrice, rather than badass Tris. Too bad, Saoirse wasn't casted. I really think she can give justice to the role."

Absolutely!But I thought Shailene Woodley was chosen!!

Elizabetta Dd - Sorry, I misspoke about a prequel, it's actually a rewrite of a scene in Divergent but from Four's point of view.

message 37: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Elizabetta wrote: "Dd - Sorry, I misspoke about a prequel, it's actually a rewrite of a scene in Divergent but from Four's point of view."

Oh,then it's even better!!Thanks again!!I am going to get that right now!!:D

message 38: by Govind (new)

Govind FABULOUS review D!

message 39: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Stunning review!Fabulous job!

Isabella Francesca Love your review Dd!! :)

message 41: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Isabella Francesca wrote: "Love your review Dd!! :)"

Thank you so much Isabella!!:))

message 42: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Fiona wrote: "Stunning review!Fabulous job!"

Govind wrote: "FABULOUS review D!"

Thank you so much Govind and Fiona!!:))

Ronyell Awesome review Dd!! I really enjoyed this book too!

message 44: by Gina (new)

Gina Wonderful review Dd!

message 45: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Gina wrote: "Wonderful review Dd!"

Thank you so much Gina!!:))

message 46: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Dd!! I really enjoyed this book too!"

Thank you so much Ronyell!!I enjoyed this one too!!:))

Melissa Great review! The pics are awesome! :D

Airah ♔ I thought some of the factions' duties seemed vague at first too! Great review Dd!

message 49: by Dd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Airah ♔ wrote: "I thought some of the factions' duties seemed vague at first too! Great review Dd!"

Thank you Airah!!The duties were really vague.The events in the end were vague too.**sigh** It kind of disappointed me!!

message 50: by Dd (last edited Jan 06, 2013 03:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dd Melissa wrote: "Great review! The pics are awesome! :D
And yeah, the faction system is a bit WTF??, but I enjoyed this book nonetheless :) Glad you liked it!"

Thank you Melissa!!I enjoyed it too!!Though I was hoping to enjoy it a little more!!

« previous 1 3