Sean Higgins's Reviews > Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations

Do Hard Things by Alex  Harris

May 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: recommended-youth
Read in April, 2009

Following their older brother, Josh, the Harris twins love to share stories. I'm not sure a page is turned that doesn't include lines from letters/emails they've received, or from conversations they've had. I suppose that makes the book more personal, but experience is an unsteady authority.

The book is focused on persons more than principles, on real life examples more than Scriptural revelation. The principles that do peak out from behind the stories are generally good ones; they are not unbiblical, but neither would I say they are obviously Bible-driven.

The carrot held before teens appears to be a more productive and successful adult life, along with feeling better about oneself from having done hard things. The goals of spiritual maturity and offering a life sacrifice that is pleasing to God are not as center of the page as one might hope.

The gospel finally appears in the appendix, a . I don't remember reading the word "repent," and sin was usually described in terms of "negative actions or patterns needed to end" (223). Seeking Bible wisdom, walking in the Spirit, and praying are not absent, but they are more like footnotes to making plans, thinking big, doing research, starting organizations, creating web sites, and collaborating with friends.

And yet, after all that, I still think the book is worth reading, especially by teens themselves, and even more so for teens who have no previous exposure to the myth of adolescence. In the end, the book does challenge the fatuous and immature to grow up, even to grow up in Christ.

Besides, Chuck Norris wrote the forward.

UPDATE [3:49PM May 5]: Read my wife's review too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do Hard Things.