The Listmaker's Reviews > Touch of Darkness

Touch of Darkness by Christina Dodd

Mar 17, 09

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, paranormal

I will give Christina Dodd this much, she sure does have a penchant for writing "consensual" rape scenes.

I gave this second book in the Darkness Chosen series a shot despite reservations after having read the first book, which also contained such sex scenes. Apparently I need to listen to myself more closely.

There are ways to write scenes of sexual domination that don't rely on the woman saying no, not once, not twice but three times before she ultimately "succumbs" to the man because he's right and oh so wonderful at arousing her so that she can't refuse him.

I don't care how well matched a couple may be, that they may be soul mates or how masterful the man may be at sexual technique, if a woman says no that means NO.

What irritates me the most is the fact that this series has great promise. It's got a good storyline and some pretty good plots. There is no reason to have the sex scenes written the way they are other than to fulfill some sort of fantasy on the part of the writer. Give the female lead a backbone and the ability to not be ruled by her body, but by her head instead. Strong women are far more interesting to read about, and up until the sex scene Tasya was just that, interesting.

As you can see I gave this book a rating of one, but only because they don't have 1/2 stars here on Goodreads. I stopped reading it as soon as I got to the sex scene. For me to stop reading a book it has to be either so awful I can't finish or so annoying that I refuse to continue. In this case it was annoying.

I would suggest that if Ms. Dodd wishes to write such fiction that she consider writing a book of erotica regarding her apparent fantasies with sexual domination and rape, wherein the reader then knows what to expect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Darkness.